The Gospel According To Gale

Monday, March 22, 2010

Sooooooooo

Most people out there think that five dollars in gas can help them make it home on a rough day from work, or get them to school in the morning. For my friends and I, five dollars in gas is like filling up our tank. It can get us anywhere we want to go as long as that little dial passes up the off orange gas light on the inside of my 2002 navy blue Mazda.

It's all about perception and seeing what you want to see. I once made it home from Ada, Ohio on nothing but $8.76 in gas, stuff I scrounged up from under the seats in my car, a positive outlook, and a pocket full of miracles. Having spent a bad weekend in Ada, and sleeping in my car and waiting until the sun came up and I sobered up enough to drive, I got on 75 South and started driving. Being in Ada, or anywhere different than Cincinnati, all of the radio stations are different. Ironically enough though, no matter WHAT station I went to, every song that played was religious and I remember the lyrics didn't just sound holy, they literally told me to "thank God for the life he gave me, and praise Jesus for the things he did." It was all very literal, and that might have been ONE of the times in my life that I feel perhaps I was getting some sort of message.

Anyway, as I was saying, I feel like I could go wherever I wanted (within reason), on five dollars in my tank just because I believe I can. Now most of you might think this sounds like if I say I believe in fairies that tinkerbell will just pop out of no where. Well, I bet most of you haven't even done that and just to let you know tink is kind of a slut. Regardless, I think we all need to believe a little bit more in the magic and miracles that life could, and does hold for us. We may not see them at first but one day, something happens to us, as individuals that makes us believe in all of those things. Who really wants to live in a world where magic doesn't exist, or the belief of? It is like when I was thirteen and getting ready to go on my first date and my mom spilled the beans that Santa Claus wasn't real. I know, I know what you are all thinking, thirteen IS a little early to start dating but hey, we only live once right? ;) As I was saying, when I found out Santa Claus wasn't real, I was literally mortified, because not only did Santa lose his credibility, but it meant that the tooth fairy, the easter bunny, and Mack, the Special Christmas Duck, all did not exist. I felt like I had been lied to my whole life.

So there is a point in time where magic leaves our lives, most of us around elementary school age, but for me I was thirteen. Yeah, I had entered the stage of bras with cups and I still believed in Santa and his elves, but it was because I wanted to. I liked all of the mysterious magic and the idea behind it. But I do truly believe it enters back into our lives later, and in whatever form you find yourself believing in it, hold it close to you. Don't let it go. You can not let everything go from your adolescent childhood years, or you become dead inside. Hold on to a small portion of something, and always, always remember to laugh. Smiling makes the world brighter.

I feel like Carrie Bradshaw.

Done.

No comments:

Post a Comment